General Visa Information


Please submit your documents to one of the accredited agencies and apply.
Acceptance of visa applications at our windows directly from applicants ceased on the 31st of May 2022. Applications can be accepted directly from the applicants in the cases mentioned below only.

1. Visa inquiry
2. Notice
3. Visa application process (How to apply)
4. Necessary time for visa application and examination
5. Others
6. Accredited agencies
7. Visa Requirements
  1. Short term stay (tourists, business meetings, etc.)
  2. Long term stay or Working (employment) visa
  3. Working Holiday visa
8.Visa fees
9.Criteria for Visa Issuance
11.Other information
  1. Travel to Japan
  2. Police Clearance certificate


1.Visa inquiry

For general visa inquiry, please call "Japan Visa Information Hotline"  (+61 AUS) 08 7130 3370  (24 hours/ 7days a week, English only)

This hotline is designed for visa applicants residing in Australia.
*The Hotline will not connect you to the Consulate-General's Visa section. If you need to contact Consulate-General in regards to a pending visa application, please contact directly at 03 9679 4510 during 9am-12:30pm and 2pm-4pm.
*We do not answer visa inquiry made by email. Please call the numbers above.




3.Visa application process

(1) Visa applications are accepted only from residents in our jurisdiction.

  • Areas of our jurisdictions are VIC, SA and TAS

​​(2) Only those with long-term resident status in Australia can apply for a visa

  • Visa holders such as permanent visa, student visa, temporary graduate visa and etc can apply. We do NOT accept visa applications from tourist visa holders (e.g visa subclass 600)
  • Bridging visa A holders need to obtain Bridging visa B in prior to apply for a Japanese visa.

(3) Effective 1st October 2019, all visa applications from residents in our jurisdiction except cases indicated in (4) below need to be applied through the agencies accredited by Consulate-General of Japan, Melbourne.


(4) Visa application for cases below need to be applied directly by the applicants at Consulate-General of Japan, Melbourne.

  • Diplomatic or Official Visas
  • Visas for invitees directly by the Japanese government and independent administrative agencies of Japan
  • Visas for awardees of Japanese Government Scholarship
  • Entertainment visa applicants apply by a team (bulk applications such as a team member of 10 people or more.)
Note 1. For applicants indicated above (4) , an employee/staff from the same company/institution may apply on behalf of the applicant. In this case, please present proof of identification (ID) of representative and authorization letter from the applicant upon filing of visa application.

(5) Application procedure



  • Applications need to be lodged in person except minors ages under 18 at the travel agencies accredited by Consulate-General of Japan, Melbourne. Applications will be lodged by the travel agencies to Consulate-General of Japan, Melbourne. Applicants will receive passport and visa from the travel agents.
  • visa applicants must come in person to apply for visa. As an exception, the family member (Not friends or agents) can apply for a visa on behalf of the applicant with any documents showing the relationship as family, such as marriage certificate, birth certificate or an authorisation letter.
  • List of accredited agencies

(For direct application - available only for the cases mentioned above (4) and in emergency.)

  • ​Applications need to be lodged in person except minors ages under 18 at Consulate-General of Japan, Melbourne. (Note*) Please call us for your appointment before visiting our office. Upon acceptance of visa applications, a receipt with application number and initial verification date will be issued by Consulate-General of Japan, Melbourne. Applicants or appointed person by the applicants needs to collect passport and visa at Consulate-General of Japan, Melbourne. Visa fee can be paid at the collection by cash.
  • Applicants reside in a remote area can apply for a visa by mail. Applications by mail will be accepted only from TAS, SA and the western area from Ararat, northern area from Strathbogie and eastern area from Mansfield, South Gippsland in VIC.
    Our office is not responsible for delay of delivery or loss of passports in the mail. In some cases, personal appearance or additional documents may be required.
  • Do not send money. Visa fee need to be paid at the time of passport collection. We cannot receive money before finishing visa assessments.
  • flow-chart by post
  • *Collection method (4) is only available for the passport holders of visa fee exemption countries, such as Australia, New Zealand, USA, Korea, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Colombia and Pakistan.
  •  If you choose the collection method (4) mentioned in the picture above, you need to send us the "PLEDGE-apply by post" and a self-addressed prepaid A4 envelope (express or registered envelope are strongly recommended) included in addition to the required documents. Please keep the tracking number of its envelope for yourself. 
  • Send to:
    ATTN: Visa section
    Consulate-General of Japan, Melbourne
    Level 25, 570 Bourke Street, Melbourne VIC 3000

(6) List of accredited agencies

  • Since accredited agencies are private enterprises, a handling fee is necessary for processing the application. Please inquire directly at the accredited agencies for the rates/ handling fee on visa application. List of accredited agencies

  • If you are travel agent and interested in registration of your agency, please refer to the following link; Information of agency application  The registration of accreditations are closed.

4.Necessary time for visa application and examination

(1) For visa application filed through accredited agencies, at least (1) week ( five (5) working days) from the date of acceptance by the Consulate-General of Japan is necessary to be processed and released of passports to the accredited agencies. If however, the passport has not been returned after more than a week, the applicant who need to verify the status of the application may inquiry to your chosen agency.
(2) For visa application filed directly to Consulate-General of Japan, Melbourne, applicant may come to our office on the initial verification date indicated in the receipt given upon application. Passports will be released if examination has been completed by that date.
(3) If visa is issued, passport with visa will be returned to applicant. If visa is denied, only passport will be returned to applicant.
(4) Depending on examination, additional documents may be necessary; or personal appearance of applicants may be requested; or inquiry at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs /Immigration Services Agency of Japan regarding the application may be necessary and examination may not be completed by the scheduled date of departure to Japan, thus please apply early and allot enough time for situations like this. At the same time, please be informed that we cannot accommodate requests for early release of passports for scheduled date of departure.



(1) Applicant must apply for visa according to the purpose of your travel. Temporary visitor’s visa is visa for those who plan to stay for not more than 90 days for the purpose of activities such as sightseeing, commercial purpose, conference, and visit to relatives or acquaintances only. It is not allowed in Temporary visitor’s visa activities (employment, entertainment etc.) that earn compensation or training with training allowance or included On the Job Training.
   If the purpose is to stay longer than 90 days (to live with spouse or to study etc.) or to engage in activities (employment, entertainment etc.) that earn compensation even if stay is for 90 days or less; or if a training allowance is paid or included in the training, please consult with the nearest immigration office in Japan, obtain the appropriate Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and apply for a visa.
(2) Submission of requirements does not guarantee issuance of visa.
(3) If document submitted for application is verified by Embassy or Consular Office as fake or tampered, visa is not issued.
(4) Documents submitted for application will not be returned.
(5) Reason for the denial of visa will not be disclosed even if an inquiry is made. At the same time, if a visa application is denied, applicant may only re-apply for the same purpose after (6) months.

*It is recommended to take out an overseas travel insurance.
〇YouTube movie
〇An overseas travel insurance makes you feel secure, even in emergencies, and you can enjoy your trip.
〇Medical expenses can be very high in Japan. If the travel insurance you purchased offers sufficient coverage of treatment costs, you can receive treatment without concern.
〇It is recommended to haven an overseas travel insurace with travel support for hospital referrals, medical interpretation, and cashless medical service.(We recommend that you check your insurance details before travelling. For example, perinatal medical care is not covered by travel insurance and can be expensive.)