The 2023 JET Programme Applications are now closed.
The Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme is designed to promote mutual understanding between Japan and other nations, foster international exchange at the local level and enhance foreign language education in Japan.
There are two types of positions*:
⇨ Assistant Language Teacher (ALT)
assisting in English language education in Japanese schools (teaching experience and Japanese language ability not essential).
⇨ Coordinator for International Relations (CIR)
assisting in international activities carried by Japanese local government offices (high level of Japanese language ability required).
* Contracts for both position types are for a minimum of 1 year and start in April (some) or July (majority).
Want to know more?
Please contact the JET Programme Coordinator below.
Tel: 03 9679 4510 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information is also available on the JET Programme website.
The scheduled timeline for the 2023 JET Programme recruitment is as follows:
- Application closing date is Friday 11 November 2022 for reviews by the Embassy of Japan in Canberra. Notification of progression to the interview stage will be given in late December 2022 to successful applicants and the interviews will be held in late January and early February 2023 in Melbourne, Hobart and Adelaide.
- Applicants selected for April departure will be short-listed and announced in March 2023 and will arrive in Japan on or after Sunday 9 April 2023.
- Other interview results will be announced in April 2023 (i.e. notification will be sent to those applicants selected as either a shortlisted participant or alternate for July departure, as well as to those who are unsuccessful)
- Placement notification will be sent in May 2023 to those applicants selected for July departure, who will then arrive in Japan on or after Sunday 30 July 2023.
* Please note that applicants must be an Australian citizen (i.e., an Australian passport holder, not just a permanent resident) where recruitment and selection procedures will take place. Interviews are not conducted outside Australia, including Japan.